18 June 2007

Goodbye Pan


I've been dreading this post, so I have to get it done. On Friday we had to put our new kitty, Pan, to sleep. He got very sick on Tuesday, we hospitalized him for three days with acute kidney failure (apparently very common in boy cats, and they often can bounce back, but his was pretty advanced) and went in to the vet to visit him on Friday afternoon thinking he was getting better. Then they put us in a windowless little room, at which point we began to suspect the worst. Basically, his kidneys never resumed functioning, his bladder had also ceased to work, and he would have had to be in an emergency hospital for the two or three months he could have continued to live, in pain and catheterized. It was a horrible, horrible decision to have to make, and when they brought him in to us it was even worse, because he just purred the whole time and snuggled us until the very end. He actually stopped purring when the first injection went in to sedate him, and then started purring again when the final injection of barbituates went in. Thanks to E. & J. & K. & I. for helping us bury him when we got home and for providing music and catmint and catnip plants for his grave and making sure we all ate something eventually and generally looking after us that night. A lot has happened in the last week and a half, much of it wonderful, but I will have to do catch up posts later in the week on that because I really just can't do it right now.

Goodbye Pan, Pancake, Panini, Pantalaimon, Pancetta, Panettone. You were the sweetest boycat I ever met and you were in our family, you were in the BCC, even if it was only for a brief time. We'll miss you kittybaby.

8 comments:

Trust in Steel said...

Treasure the good memories.

Cassandra of Troy said...

I'm so sorry BCC. I am so very sorry.

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry. that's a terrible decision to have to make. At least you were with him.

AMB said...

So sorry to hear about Pan. I can tell that he was very much loved.

kungfuramone said...

Sorry to hear that, C. At least he had an awesome pad and awesome peeps for the last part of his life.

Cabiria said...

Thanks for the support everyone.

Y. said...

That's so sad C. I'm glad he found you guys though.

Dolce Vita said...

I'm so sorry (but I'm happy that he found all of you first).