04 September 2007

Nicer Bigger Teflon Rellenos

I have learned several valuable lessons and/or pieces of information in the past week and a half, both in British Columbia and in the past few days back at home.

1) Canadians are just nicer than Americans. More polite, all of it, the stereotypes really are true. The buses in Vancouver actually flash two line messages saying "Sorry...Not in Service" instead of just "Not in Service." Now all our buses look rude and abrupt to me. Also, many Canadians really will apologize to you when you step on their toes. I actually tested this out repeatedly and, let's assume, unintentionally.

2) My snotty attitude toward nature on the East Coast (i.e., "you call that a tree? how cute," or "that puny hill is Mt. Such and Such?") being from the West Coast correlates almost exactly to the assumed attitude someone from BC could have to the Pacific Northwest, were they not so damned polite. It was just like the natural environment here. Except bigger. Everything was way bigger. Plus, fewer billboards, which just emphasized how freaking big everything was. It was an incredible week -- mostly we did a lot of hiking and oohing and aahing. We're definitely going back to Vancouver for a city fix, it's super-Euro and cool and we didn't get to spend much time there.

3) Lesson learned by our entire household upon our return: don't put a Teflon wok on the burner, turn it onto a relatively high heat with a little oil in it, and then answer the phone (roomie was making popcorn for our movie night). Let's just say, the fire was small and localized, but the fumes were unbelievably profuse. We all, plus kitty, literally locked ourselves in my room as the least-fumigated place in the house and watched Dreamgirls. Which was great. Or that could be the Teflon poisoning talking, who knows. I think it was great. Seriously, that stuff kills birds -- if my dissertation is poor quality now, I'm totally blaming the wok. It took two full days with the doors wide open to air the house out.

4) Screw Labor Day barbecues. The food to have in celebration of working people is definitely homemade chiles rellenos with beans and rice, fried plaintain chips and mango slices. Sadly, we eschewed the mojitos because the Teflon had already killed all of our brain cell quota for the week. But the rellenos, they were so good.

5 comments:

Dolce Vita said...

I'm so pleased you had a great vacation.
... So, where are the photos on flickr? I want to oooh and aaah along with you (I've always wanted to visit the mountainous part of BC; I've only been to Victoria which is also super cool and European-esque. High tea, chutney, and art. It's worth a visit).

Trust in Steel said...

Glad your vacation went well. Sorry I missed you. My blog has returned. Hope you are well!

SuperJew said...

Miss Birthday Girl! I'm writing again to wish you fabulous day, and also to let you know I've officially written my first blog post! It's very exciting. Well, it's actually kinda boring. But since you guys insist I have a blog, you are obligated to check it out now. ;)
Miss you!
;) L

Trust in Steel said...

Happy B-Day, I know it's around now give or take a day! I'll drink to you from afar! Celebrate well.

Cabiria said...

Thanks for the b-day wishes, y'all!