22 October 2007

Get Yourself to the Square Dance, Daisy!

Went to a costumed square dance this weekend (more pictures by E), and it was unnatural kinds of fun. I'm now fascinated by all forms of square dancing -- from Scottish to Irish ceili dancing to the Appalachian sort we all learned in grade school to the hippie contra dancing kind. So much fun and silliness! It's the peasant version of the snooty rich folk dances of the English and French. Plus, in traditional square dancing costumes, there are things called pettipants. Seriously. With cowboy boots and fiddles. Good times!

Here are some of the things I silkscreened last week in the class I'm taking -- it's making me a crazy person who keeps a list in my notebook of possible T-shirt screening ideas. I see potentially transferable images everywhere. And then I grabbed a handful of $2 T-shirts at Ye Olde Navy this weekend, giving my addiction even more fodder. Oh, the dangers of a new craft hobby.

7 comments:

Y. said...

Oh, how I wished you lived in LA so I could put all your craftiness to use on my wedding. Instead, I'll probably just have to feed the evil beast that is the wedding industry!

Trust in Steel said...

I miss the festive fall environs and activities of my home region. Hope you are doing well!

Dolce Vita said...

How cool! I like these (and the ones I got in the mail). Now I want to learn silk screening. I wish I lived closer.

kungfuramone said...

I likes me the owl one.

Rachel said...

I like the dragonfly. I got a how-to book on silk-screening, I'm planning on trying it as soon as I have some more money. :) It looks like so much fun!

Matto said...

If in your quest of ethnic square dances you find out what it means to "strip the willow" please let me know. Apparently I did it once in England. The detail on the silk screens is awesome.

marie said...

c-lo, i adore the pink dragonfly. the owl is beautiful too. i don't know how you find time for these things, but i'm so glad you do!