14 April 2008

Run Away! Run Away!


I have a confession to make about one of my weird tendencies. When things go well, I run away. As for example please, after I took my exams and got gladhanded by all the smiling profs at the end, I bolted as quickly as possibly out of the building. After defending my prospectus, which was essentially a love-fest, I literally ran to the bus station so that I could leave campus before accidentally doing something to ruin it. I have some deep-seated fear of the other shoe dropping, or of screwing something up (especially pronounced when I've just done the opposite of screw up). So this weekend I presented at this conference, which I was really nervous about doing since the bulk of the panelists and attendees were professors and the paper is in the early stages and is a very rough version of the first part of my nonexistent first chapter. So let's say, it's at the VERY early stages.

Anyway, I presented, and things went well. Surprisingly good attendance at the panel, no grilling, lots of "comments" from audience members that consisted of them trying to add whatever special subject they know about to my topic in order to attach to it and marry the two ideas, rather than trying to use what they know to tear it down (if that makes sense). Finally, the last speaker was a professor in the audience -- this guy for you Americanists, who is pretty much a rock star -- he gave a very complimentary analysis of my paper and one or two mild criticisms of the others. Then after the panel, two professors came up and asked if I could send them a copy of my paper, one professor asked me to give them advice on sources (seriously), and Professor Rock Star waited patiently to talk to me and say nice things and then asked if I could send him a copy of the paper and gave me his card. I managed to stutter out some gibberish and frankly, after talking to him, I fled. Like, fled the building in case I ran into someone and said something stupid, which seemed unavoidable. Unfortunately my session was in the morning so I had a bunch of lunch, afternoon and plenary panels to attend the rest of the day, along with a banquet at night, which were all kind of torture. I had to stop myself all day from bolting the conference, and managed to only because they were actually paying for me to attend, so I thought it would be pretty bad form. I realize this is absurd, and since I managed to get through the remainder of the day without excessively foolish behavior I disproved my own fear, but I doubt that will stop me from freaking out again in future. Am I alone in this behavior? I probably need to adjust my expectations or some psychobabble thing, but so far, fear and anxiety have served to get me where I am, and I have trouble letting go of them as motivational tools. :)

In other news, I found out this week that I got this fellowship for next year, which was a terrific surprise and which means I don't need to teach and can just write all year. I feel very, very lucky, especially because I know what a total crapshoot these applications are, and in particular, that this is evidence of the way in which certain educational pedigrees (or previous fellowship awards or particular formulations of projects at a particular political moment) serve to open the door for more benefits and privileges in an ongoing cycle. Of course I'm happy, but after reading the email notifying me I did have to recheck it every five minutes for about an hour to confirm I wasn't imagining things, at which point I fled campus and the sneaky computer that had informed me of the good news.

6 comments:

SuperJew said...

Miss C-Milio!!! Congratulations on the Spencer!!!! Although I am not surprised (as they would've been foolish to not give it to you) and congratulations on the "When Affirmative Action was White" superstar recognition!!!! Again, not surprised that top scholars would be blown away by your brilliance, but it's always good to be reminded that the bright ones out there are still open to other geniuses joining their clan. And as far as the anxiety/fear combo, I think it's normal. I find that the opposite (chilling/not caring) doesn't work so well for gearing up for deadline pressure. You need something to keep you motivated right? Plus I think it's good to never get too comfortable, because that likely means you've grown either complacent or cocky (which you my dear are incapable of ever doing). I'm sure however, that there has to be some kind of in between (of complacency, and bolting out of fear)...perhaps we'll figure it out as we go?

Trust in Steel said...

Congrats! It is good to see your dedication and ability is attaining more and more public acknowledgement. Well deserved!

Rachel said...

fear and anxiety have gotten you this far. :) And you toughed it out, so I'd say you have a winning combination. :)

Dolce Vita said...

Congrats, Cabiria - both on the fellowship and on the recognition of/for your brilliant project. Yeah!

And I have to smile when you mention the motivation provided by fear and anxiety - I can so sympathize. You know, fear and anxiety are a proven method to my mind (the only problem now is how to fit in sleep).

I also think you're not alone in running away - I recall running to Renee's (or the like) and seeking out my cronies after each of these episodes.

Jess Amo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess Amo said...

congrats on the fellowship ms. c! and the super successful conference! so good to hear. xo -jess