28 May 2007

Movie Reviews/Exam News

My weekend was spent at community college dance recitals (very good!), buying huckleberry plants at a local farm, barbecues with the history crowd, and big-budget movies at the mall. I needed a brain break, and it was good to have a non-working weekend for once. Shrek the Third: good stuff. Pretty much, if you liked the first two, you'll like this one. Not as much Puss in Boots as I would've liked, but I hear there's a whole PiB movie coming out in a few years, so I can be patient.

Shrek viewing pleasure was also assisted by the comparison to the third Pirates movie, seen the night before. Shrek = 1 1/2 hours long. Pirates = 3 hours long. Also full of stupid and offensive stereotypes. Also, not nearly enough Johnny Depp. There's a whole mini surrealist movie of just him being totally hilarious toward the beginning that's actually worth sitting through the entire 3 hours, but I wish there had been more. More of that, less of the hours of tedious special effects.

In comps news, for the first time in weeks (since my first practice session), I don't feel like I'm counting down to my execution. I had another practice session on Friday that was actually like an enjoyable conversation about theory and ideas and historical trends in the 20th century (imagine!). The professor even ended it by hinting that it shouldn't be a hazing ritual and she will try to "interrupt" that if it starts to happen. Given that one of my other committee members clearly does view it as a hazing session, that made me feel a lot better. I'm aiming to take them the first week of July, before I have to start teaching my summer course. Today, it's back to work, but substantially refreshed and feeling a lot lighter than in a long time. I see the light at the end of the tunnel of books, finally.

5 comments:

Dolce Vita said...

Yeaah!

I wondered how your practice session on Friday went. It is so nice to know you'll have someone in your corner.

But the 'yeah' is really for the mental-break weekend that you got to enjoy!

Rachel said...

hazing session - gack. Every time I think I am contemplating a return to academia, I read one of your posts and start wondering what I'm smoking. :) Congrats on it going well, though! That must be a relief.

Rachel said...

hey, what happened to your shop?

Cabiria said...

Hey -- thanks for noticing! I realized from your comment that all my remaining listings had expired (they're on a six-month cycle). I hadn't made anything new in a while, but I should at least relist some stuff! Thanks again for the heads up!

Rachel said...

no problem - do you ever make necklaces? I seem to only see earrings on your shop. I think I'm going to start one up too, with little crocheted lace things - I make them all the time and they just sit around gathering dust until my mom takes pity and takes them away from me. :)