20 January 2008

Experiments in Cooking and Fiction

In honor of Sunday morning, I decided to test out the crumpet ring I bought many months ago and try to make my first-ever batch of crumpets today. Let me just say -- biscuity English muffins are good. The first few burnt, there was some adjustment, but ultimately they were quite tasty. They were not, however, remotely crumpetlike. So now I feel like I've taken on a challenge, and I do enjoy a challenge. For the next several weeks I will be attempting other crumpet recipes in hopes of finding one that actually tastes like the real deal. I don't know -- crumpets are just a step (or even two) higher on the yummy chain for me than almost any other breakfast bread, muffin, what have you. Does anyone prefer English muffins to crumpets? I know English muffins are way more accessible here in the States, but it's really no contest as far as I'm concerned. Plus the word is even fun -- crumpet! I think my next experiment (after I find the one true crumpet recipe) will be attempting Ethiopian cooking -- I love me some injera, and there are no restaurants in this neck of the woods, so if I want it, I better learn to make it myself.

The hot springs was fantastic as always -- lots of reading (three novels), soaking, cold plunges (love the cold in the field of snow!), and vegetarian food not cooked by me. A few random recommendations from my weekend if anyone's looking for a good novel.

1) The Inheritance of Loss, by Kiran Desai -- this book is one of the best I've read recently. A Booker-prize winning meditation on colonialism and postcolonial existence, immigration, race, class and consumption. Just so, so good.

2) The Namesake, by Jhumpa Lahiri -- it's been on my list for ages, and I am still in the middle of this one, but it draws you in immediately and is just beautifully written. Plus, for those law school ladies who read this, there are some nice mentions of neighborhoods in Cambridge that made me nostalgic. Next I will see the movie that everyone raves about.

3) Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen -- a fun, well-researched book that feels like (although how would we know?) it actually gives you a glimpse into train circuses during the Depression. The elephant is awesome. The old man who narrates the book is also fantastic, and it is powerfully poignant to put the reader inside all these characters who are for various reasons viewed as "disposable" to society.

3 comments:

Dolce Vita said...

How funny, I recently had my first crumpet (I think). They came from Trader Joe's and were good - sweeter, more airy and more spongy than an English muffin. I liked them - though not with eggs (which is usually how/why I eat English muffins). Your post makes me wonder how "authentic" TJ's crumpets are and if I should claim to "know" what a crumpet is.

Trust in Steel said...

Crumpets sound quite appealing. Glad the Hot Springs went well and you are getting much deserved hedonistic excursions.

Cabiria said...

I think TJ's crumpets are pretty good, and reasonably authentic, actually. I will keep you posted on forthcoming crumpet-making experiments.