14 March 2008

Stuff Made While Sick (And Shortly Thereafter)

I call it Scarfy. I taught myself how to cast on, bind off, and make the fringe (previous knitting projects have required much assistance from the wise A.). Plus, pink! And alpaca, so super-duper soft.


Glitter eggs. Thanks, Martha.


I am currently obsessed with making pysanky. Partly this is because no other crafty-folk seem to make them, so I feel a little more cutting edge than when I copy something Martha did (not that I don't like to do that regularly). Partly it's because my Mom used to make them, really elaborate ones with tiny woodland scenes of deer on them. Yeah, I'm not there yet, but I like this site as visual inspiration. I won't even tell you how long the two below took to make.


We learned to make tamales last weekend (the tamales were made when we were all no longer sick, of course), and produced probably over a hundred with three different kinds of fillings and fresh tomatillo salsa. Awesome! And they are actually all gone now, that's how yummy they were. Not as hard to make as I'd thought, though they are definitely a team production.


Finally, not anything I made, but I enjoyed this bit of news. Yes, extreme wealth is a mortal sin. Thanks for that.

5 comments:

Trust in Steel said...

Congrats on your lovely creations, I'm glad you are feeling better!

kungfuramone said...

Well, I guess it's a good thing that harming the environment is going on the official sin list (?) Maybe (?)

Rachel said...

those tamales look great. :) And I'm highly jealous of your scarf!!

i think it's good there's been this statement from someone in a position of authority - a lot of Christians are very... backward thinking, shall we say, and it's taken them a long time to get on the bandwagon for stuff like environmental protection. Maybe some good can come of it. who knows?

Dolce Vita said...

What is there not to love about tamales - I'm not surprised they're all gone.

Thanks for that bit of news. About this time of every-four-years I begin to converse with my (inlaw) family about presidential candidates. The conversations go well and I think I'm making some small headway, but then I get shot down with "the [white-hat guy] says to vote [this way on the one-issue]" Ugh! This year, I will surely employ that little bit of news!

Y. said...

Honestly, you do the coolest things. The scarf/eggs/tamales look awesome!