12 December 2006

The Terror of the Thames


I went to the office this morning to do a little scanning for the professor I'm R.A. for this quarter, and I brought my newly-refurbished Ipod with me for background music. When I got it back from the fine folks at Apple a few days ago, I realized that when they installed a new battery (I was part of the class action), it got rid of all my music/playlists/etc. So I updated it last night, and brought it in today. I scanned a few pages, turned on my Ipod (name: Sharky) and discovered that it is actually a weird little mp3-playing demon creature with a bizarre sense of humor. It updated, but for some unknown reason, it only updated 5 songs out of the thousands on my computer, and those five songs are: Don't You Forget About Me, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and three songs from the original London recording of Cats. Growltiger's Last Stand (The Terror of the Thames), Gus: The Theatre Cat, and The Moments of Happiness. I swear on my beading pliers I have not listened to the Cats soundtrack in years, nor is it on any playlist, so I have no idea why the Ipod decided to update only those songs, along with the entirety of my Learn! Spanish! Now! CD's. I think it's a cruel tech-geek/hipster joke by Apple employees who have programmed the refurbished Ipods to seek out the lamest music on your computer and sync only that.

And for what it's worth, after I got desperate from the Tears for Fears/Simple Minds medley extraordinaire, I listened to Cats for a bit. And Gus? Made me teary, so it's probably best I don't listen to it regularly. Come on, the cat was old and thin, and his coat was all shabby, and he had the palsy! So his little paws shook! Palsy! I cannot deal with a homeless cat suffering from palsy, it's too much. Especially when the graduate director comes by to bug me about something when I'm in the middle of my Gus+palsy emotions.

No comments: