29 October 2006

The Cute and the Scary


Yesterday was a day of much festivity and fun. We spent the bulk of the day making crafts and cupcakes, then attempted to run a gauntlet of three separate Halloween parties.


I think the kitty is my favorite.


We ran out of vanilla with the white frosting, so we used (apparently copious amounts of) rum. A dab on your finger was kind of like taking a shot. Let's face it, Martha would totally approve.


What I made yesterday pre-cupcakes: I don't understand how I can wield kitchen shears and wire cutters on the above candy and bead concoctions and never manage to hurt myself but tomatoes foil me. I think it's psychological. I secretly hate tomatoes! We also watched The Neverending Story while I made these. My next animal is named Atreyu.


This boy got hit on by a weird old man at party #2. It's the blond curls. Very Cindy Brady, if she were a Eugene barista from Maine who hadn't shaved in a while.


Little Miss Sunshine, complete with cotton batting barrel-chest, and a cat. Sadly, people mostly could not guess this one at all (and most of them hadn't seen the movie -- I ask you, what are they doing with their time that they are not seeing this movie?). At party #2, someone thought these might just be her normal clothes and tried to politely compliment her on her glasses. Others thought perhaps she was an aerobics instructor.


Olive attacks a pumpkin at party #1.


Pumpkin guts. We managed to spill the bucket of seeds on the floor a moment later. People love it when we come over.


The second "Hell House" variation spotted on the drive to the last of the festivities. There was an ambulance parked out in front -- we were trying to decide if it was for the folks that fainted after seeing the horrors that await sinners, or whether it was part of some reenactment of What Happens When You Drink. Or Dance. Or Smoke. Or Laugh. Laughter is of the devil!

As is the photographer's way, I totally forgot to get a picture of my costume. Picture a cross between Annie Oakley and Jessie (because of the braids) from Toy Story and you've got it about right.

OK -- I need to do some non-crafting work today, like on my slavery syllabus. Sometimes I would like to be sponsored to make crafts and cook and decorate all the time. And that, I know, is where I've completely bought into the domesticity script. I don't deny it. Just because gender is performed doesn't make it less powerful. I'm sure there's a special room in Hell House for feminists.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I stole your pictures of cupcakes. Thanks! :D they look delicious and fattening, by the way. The best kind.

Cabiria said...

No problem! Seriously, the rum ones cannot be beat for doing double-duty.