20 October 2006

Patriarchy Lives!

Sometimes I get spoiled by the fact that I'm surrounded by a lot of terrific guys, who by and large support the more basic feminist viewpoints.* Then I am reminded of what a hilarious mark of virility rape is. I guess women should feel really lucky that their leaders are taking time out of their busy days to rape them and/or joke about raping them -- who says "women's issues" aren't being addressed?

*With the exception of the crusty old guys who frequent the busses and bus station and who invariably want to forcibly chat with me or comment on my hair/skirt/boots. However, since so many of their comments are centered on my apparel and appearance, I like to think that it's actually just their own displaced gender variant impulses toward cross-dressing coming out. Really, they just want to borrow my shoes and get a nice wig -- one guy even admitted as much when I pushed him on it this week.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Damn. That's quite the article - and the spokesperson wasn't even smart enough to deny it?

When I think of a strong, virile man, I definitely think of a man so desperate for sex and power that he has to resort to rape. Yup, that's definitely it.

my word verification ended with 'ew'

kungfuramone said...

Putin is probably number one on the list of contends-with-W-for-most-evil-world-leader status.

Rachel said...

amen to that