23 October 2006

I Live To Serve.


Upon request of the lovely Outright B, here are some random ideas for non-slutty (since that'll be covered by approximately 99% of the costumes at any given party), cute, women's halloween get-ups:

-- Rosa Luxembourg (left). A boring outfit (though the hair's kind of cool), but a kickass revolutionary.
-- Patty Hearst. Work the black clothes and the beret.
-- Square Dancer. Wire your braids! Fluff your skirt!
-- Punky Brewster. Who didn't love her?
-- Little Miss Sunshine (stolen from my roommate). Complete with big glasses, jelly bracelets and padding in the middle.
-- Fashion Victim. Wear every mistaken purchase you've made in the last year. I think I could dress twelve of these.
-- Jennifer Aniston's character from Office Space. Striped shirt, suspenders, and many, many badges (flair is not optional!).
-- Velma, of Scooby Doo fame. Giant orange sweater should be at every Goodwill in the country.
-- Janis Joplin. Finally, a use for the feather boa.
-- Dickens orphan. Grubby clothes, and a use for the newsboy cap that isn't ridiculous.
-- Drowned Ophelia, from the John William Waterhouse painting. Yeah, I had some random dried flowers to use as a crown that year. And I got to wear death makeup!
-- Anna Karenina. Russian hat, brooding expression. Extremely cheap and difficult to argue with.

All of these are better than what I'm going as this year, Annie Oakley, but oh well, the thrift store kind of determined my path. The last two are costumes I came up with for myself and my friend A., respectively, in New York years and years ago. We even took photos of her faux-jumping in front of the subway. Yeah, looking back, we were a little too into the suicidal women motif, methinks. The funniest part is, because the Halloween party we went to was thrown by some super-artsy indie-filmmaker types in a burnt out warehouse in Chelsea...everyone totally guessed both costumes accurately. New York bohemians are awesome.

Other ideas?

3 comments:

kungfuramone said...

Everyone in grad school should go as a famous intellectual, period. What about Gertrude Stein? Or Angela Davis? Oo! Or you could go as Mary Wollstencraft and use all of your late 18th c. gear!

I'm going as Foucault this year, finally.

Rachel said...

I get to teach a lesson on Halloween. Should be fun! I'm going to talk about origins and black cats and all that. Easy way to fill up an hour.

Cabiria said...

I cannot wait for the pictures of you as Foucault. That's awesome. Some year you have to go as Simone de Beauvoir. I think I will go as Dorothy Parker next year. And, as an addendum, I am also willing to support my friend M.'s decision to go as the Chiquita banana lady/Carmen Miranda as long as she does in fact spend the entire night denouncing the United Fruit company, as promised.