25 October 2006

Stuff I Read Last Night

Books from my comps list? Don't be ridiculous.

1) You Don't Have to Be Pretty. Y., you have excellent taste. Love this post, especially for the "prettiness is not rent you pay for occupying a space marked female" comment. And the comment that not being pretty is not something you owe to feminism. (For S. -- nor is being boring and sexless something you owe to academia -- ignore all statements otherwise, they come from boring and sexless people.)

2) Black People Love Us. Someone sent this to me a few years ago and I thought it was brilliant then, and then I stumbled across it again last night looking for anti-racism teachable stuff. Still brilliant. I would love to use this as a teaching tool at some point, because I think humor/satire can be a very effective learning mechanism. Look at Jon Stewart or The Colbert Report* or countless other examples. The thing that kills me about it is the comments page, where at least HALF of the comments are from people who seem genuinely convinced it is for real, and are all uncomfortable and freaked-out because "shhh! it's racist to talk about race! how horrifying!" I live in a bubble. No one I know would not get this. I fully respect disagreeing about whether this is the best method to get the particular message across, but the fact that half the readers fully miss the point...

*One of many reasons I currently adore Stephen Colbert: The way he says, on practically a weekly basis with a perfectly straight face that he's "color-blind" and "doesn't see race." Last week on his "Salute to the American Lady" he defended his calling only on men in the audience to explain women's issues by saying that "like race, I don't see gender, I just see Americans." Awesome.

Then we made homemade pizza, and I beaded some jewelry and went to bed. Lalalala, comps list, I can't hear you. OK, this morning I can, so back to the neverending law review article.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Camille, yet again, you have brought to my attention something I love - satire stupid people don't get. My favorite quote:

"Hi! Like a lot of other fucking morons who have written, I just don't understand this site! Is it satirical? Or are you really racists? Or, like, what? It's really just too hard to figure out! I also find Romper Room and Sesame Street hard to understand! Maybe I've sniffed too much glue? Okay! I'll go stick my head up my ass again!"

Personally, I haven't decided yet if this person is just stupid, or is actually being the most satirical of them all.

I LOVED the Colbert Report when I saw it - it wasn't on TV when I had cable, and I was too cheap to pay for cable at the UO even though it meant missing two of my favorite shows, South Park and the Daily Show, and now I have to add the Colbert Report to that list. It was absolutely fantastic, and both those guys are so funny and smart.

Have you ever read the Boomer Bible?

kungfuramone said...

You are a pro blogger, at only a week and change in. The internet cried out, and you answered.

hdaisy said...

hey,
interesting commentary on the uses of satire and blackpeopleloveus.com...
if you appreciated that site, i would definitely recommend rent-a-negro.com, created by speaker, author, and conceptual artist damali ayo.

damali followed the site up with a book, "how to rent a negro" http://damaliayo.com/book%20promos/pages/How%20to%20Rent.htm

if you are looking for teaching tools, i would also suggest you get in touch with damali; you might even think about bringing her to your school or organization for a fresh dialogue on race. you can find out more about her work at
http://damaliayo.com/ or by emailing her at info@damaliayo.com

hope this helps!

heather day,
assistant to damali ayo