09 November 2006

Bus-Ridin' Fool

I don't know what it is about me and the bus. This morning I had my closed (it was closed I tell you!) water bottle laying on my lap and then 3/4 of the way into the bus ride, I realized it had suddenly started leaking all over me. Sooooo, I am now at my office hours, waiting for students to come talk to me with a nice big wet spot on my lap. Classy. I don't even know why I go out in public.

In other news, I highly recommend the following movie for any film/history connoisseurs: La Ultima Cena (The Last Supper), directed by Tomás Gutiérrez-Alea. Here's the Times review from 1976, when it came out. I've been screening various movies over the past few days for my minor field syllabus on the Atlantic slave trade, and it's one of the best. The owner of a Cuban sugar plantation invites twelve of his slaves to feast with him in order to teach them about Christianity -- you can imagine what happens from there. The political, social and religious parable elements are subtle and impressively done and it raises many of the most important issues/questions regarding New World slavery and its inherent contradictions. My imaginary students for this imaginary class are so going to be watching this. Putting together a syllabus is hard, but I have to say it's pretty fun, too.

1 comment:

A said...

I loved putting together my syllabus last year. I could not believe how fun it was and how much I learned! I have to do 2 more here and I'm really looking forward to it. Have fun! I'll check out the movie.