19 November 2006

Somebody Unionize Me

I've been working in my personal earring factory all weekend, and I have to say, the conditions are not ideal. It's pretty cold in here and the boss won't turn up the heat. No coffee breaks (and like E., no coffee!). My hands are too cramped from all the wire-twistiness to type much. But for all the complaints, it's awfully nice to be doing creative work that has no relation to academia. All grad students (or former-and-still-suffering-from-post-grad-school-stress-disorder) need some artistic outlets or hobbies. I'm selling at the holiday market right after Thanksgiving, so I now also need to let my inner capitalist out -- or technically, since I am my only employee, my inner marketing director -- to merchandise my table effectively. Sadly, I love making pretty things, but I am much more comfortable giving them away than trying to sell them. But I've definitely spent enough money on beads at this point that I need to recoup some costs, so to market I go!

2 comments:

kungfuramone said...

My creative outlet is downloading things off of the internet.

Rachel said...

I would buy your pretty earrings (if my ears were pierced) - they're all quite pretty. Creative outlet: cross-stitch. I will take up crochet again when I don't feel guilty about spending money on yarn (yet I feel perfectly alright with buying a movie ticket to see Russell Crowe be a sap - what's wrong with me??)

heh - word verification: zions