22 November 2006

Cheer Camp

I was in a bad mood yesterday, for a variety of reasons I won't go into, but like most of my bad moods, it passed quickly. It's the redhead thing, I think -- quick temper, but quick to pass. And it didn't hurt that I had my last LSAT class (for SIX MONTHS, baby!) last night, and because it's the last session it was basically three and a half hours of them asking me what law school is like and what interviewing is like and why firms are bad and what are my opinions on the world and generally hanging on my every word. I have to admit, it's hard to stay in a bad mood in that scenario, and I realized afterwards that test prep classes are to me now what cheerleading was to me in high school, a way to "act happy" in order to be happy, even when you're not. It's my cheer crack, if you will. I don't quite know if it's going to be as great as I think it is to go the next six months without it, since I get the opposite of constant attention and deference and validation in grad school most of the time. I need my performative peppiness outlet! I'm going to have to go all cheer camp on my comps committee. I'm not sure how they'll take that.

Hope you all have a happy holiday and safe travels in the next several days!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I call that my 'Central Market persona' because at the grocery store I used to work at (very much like Market of Choice), we used to have meetings about how to be cheerful. I got VERY good at being cheerful. :) But cheerleading? The band is where it's at! heh... I'm not a nerd....I'm not...