21 November 2006

Miscellany

I am the Thanksgiving Grinch. When I'm feeling grumpy about something, I like to make it into a political position. Much like I can't afford to travel anywhere right now, so I'm actually boycotting flying because of the carbon emissions. One flight is worse than driving an SUV, people! While I wouldn't wear diamonds or fur or eat veal even if I had more money than Oprah, I would NOT turn down a plane ticket to anywhere-but-here at the moment. Especially because Thanksgiving is also the National Day of Mourning. It's also the ideal day to host an Oxfam Hunger Banquet. I think the three people getting the gourmet meal should be the people who would actually feel crappy about watching the rest of their loved ones eat rice, though, because there are definitely plenty of folks who would just eat their fancy food and laugh at the other suckers.

In a completely random link, this article is hilarious. Which of our grad cohort will channel the themes of our thesis/dissertation into a subversively offensive comedy routine in the future? I'm guessing Matt, he's already started with his shockingly inappropriate performance of Smokey the Bear. If Chris dresses up as Simone de Beauvoir next Halloween, though, he might be another strong contestant. Actually, I think it could be almost any of us. What does that say?

2 comments:

kungfuramone said...

Our political differences are no big deal. That we don't eat the same things has never bothered me. But I will fight you in the streets about Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is the RADDEST holiday because all you do is eat a lot and get drunk with your peeps. Since it's all a marketing ploy anyway, don't worry about the fake history, just ride the wave and get your vino on!

And with that Camille sends the Spart assassins southwards.

Cabiria said...

Actually there is a cell of them located in the Bay Area. But I called them off because my anti-holiday mood was (mostly) general grouchiness. It's passed. I love me some Tofurkey and vino, and I'm going to get it on Sunday!