10 February 2007

Celebration and Inebriation

The boys are back in town! Matt and Fernando came back for a mini cohort-reunion this weekend and there has been ongoing celebrating since Thursday. If only we could get the whole posse back at once, I think the vortex of drunk leftist intellectuals in hip t-shirts might destroy the right-wing conspiracy in one bang. And for those who haven't heard, Jeff, Austin and Fernando will all definitely be pursuing PhDs next year in various locations -- they've all heard back positively from at least one of their schools, and no doubt more such letters are on the way. No surprise to anyone, but it's nice when brilliant future academics are recognized as such by admissions committees. Congrats guys!

There are some drawbacks to back-to-back celebrations -- the many red bull-and-vodkas I consumed last night not only interfered negatively with my pool game, they are also making me at least three times slower at thinking/writing/reading today. Unfortunately there's very little call for graduate students who are effective sleepers or sippers of water, which have been my major talents today. Maybe those job skills are only requisite for tenured professors. I'd like to believe that at some point in my academic career, I will be able to just take a guilt-free nap.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Rachel doesn't do red bull and vodka anymore. :) Congrats to the guys! That's such great news! I figure I'll finally get a handle on what I'm going next fall by April or May... ;)