26 February 2007

Midler and Tomlin: Double the Fun

Having moments ago submitted the draft of the major field syllabus that I have been obsessing over for weeks, I now sit here with my two E. friends watching "Big Business" with Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin and enjoying what may in fact be my second glass of wine. Life is good. Here are some quality highlights from Lily's Rose character (the country one, if that's not obvious):

"You no good belly-scraping pile of cow plop!"

"Lord, my load is heavy."

As I was researching some general history links to add that extra flair to the syllabus (Elizabeth: "Because you're an overachiever?") I came across a website on "Today in History" that had the following poem by Longfellow published today, 1841. Initially, I just thought the subject sounded hot, then Elizabeth pointed out that the poem in fact describes my new identity as Smithy:

The Village Blacksmith

Under a spreading chestnut tree,
The village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he,
With large and sinewy hands;
And the muscles of his brawny arms
Are strong as iron bands.

However, my arms are only strong from the endless typing that also provides the fun, fun carpal tunnel. My weekend, in brief, went something like this:

--Coffee
--Syllabus
--Coffee
--Grant application
--"Amazing Grace" viewing with E. & J. Lacked historical context, lacked agency by the enslaved, lacked even a mention of modern slavery at the end (which ticked me off) -- but it did have a beautiful love story between William Pitt the Younger and William Wilberforce. I think it's supposed to be a love story between Wilberforce and the redhead he marries, but it's so about the boys. Pitt was one of the bachelor Prime Ministers, too. I'm just sayin'.
--Coffee
--Syllabus
--Coffee
--Walk in rain
--Poetry reading/folk music concert by friends at the only cool coffeehouse in Eugene. There was snapping for the poetry, instead of clapping. How hip are we?
--Coffee
--Syllabus
--Coffee
--Nonsensical jabbering to roommates. They made me tea, gave me a neck rub and left me alone.
--Coffee
--Syllabus
--Coffee
--Grant application
--Walk in sudden hailstorm. I have excellent timing when it comes to taking walks.

That brings us to now. The E.'s have just placed a pearl necklace on Paola and I have decided that blogging while slightly inebriated might be unwise.

3 comments:

kungfuramone said...

Um...there is sober blogging? But...why?

Cassandra of Troy said...

Congratulations! Excellent work finishing that major field syllabus. :)

Trust in Steel said...

I agree with kungfuramone, the only way to effectively blog is to be fully inebriated - as evidenced by my incoherent rantings. Congrats on successfully jumping through another bureaucratic hoop at the office!