05 February 2007

Chili, Janeane, Clueless

My meat-eating compadre A. made a mean vegetarian chili yesterday for Super Bowl festivities, though it didn't help his poor beloved Bears. I had to leave after the first touchdown for a wire-twisting class, which I swear was taught by the love child of Janeane Garofalo and Laura San Giacomo. Seriously. She was very entertaining. She kept calling the wire we were using to wrap with "Sticky," like he was a little man.

I've been thinking today about what I would do if I were not in graduate school. What would I do if I just had a real, non-lawyer job (because the lawyer job negates having any free time, which is the point of this little imagination exercise)? A job that left me excess time that I did not feel guilty for filling with even necessary things like grocery shopping and laundry, let alone the utterly irresponsible internet browsing I engaged in for several hours this morning. Because I am currently living in Procrasti Nation (tm V.), I have a feeling nothing on my list would actually be appealing if I really did have free time. It's only appealing in a relative sense, as in, relative to pinning down a dissertation topic that I feel quite friggly about, these things are way more tempting.

1) Knit comfortingly soft and functionally warm scarves for every resident of the homeless shelter on my road. In my mind, I would have unlimited time in which to make these.

2) Clean the kitchen and/or garage. Usually not a temptation for me, but when I'm procrastinating I want to be clean in my guilt.

3) Make homemade gnocchi, bagels, Thai spring rolls, truffles, or anything else that is pretty much an all-day project.

4) Remind myself how to embroider and proceed to embroider elaborate hipster and retro images on jeans, jackets, pillows, tablecloths, etc.

5) Digitally photograph each and every item of clothing and footwear in my closet. Somehow concoct a computer thingy a la Clueless wherein I can mix and match via pictures (saving me the trouble of dragging everything out to try on together) and concoct many creative new ensembles. When this idea came to me as a possibly valuable way to spend the afternoon, I finally figured out what my brain was up to and told it to shut the hell up and do some real work. And so it has.

In reality, if I had more free time I would probably just waste time and drink and watch movies and bitch about politics and/or my life. So I guess it wouldn't even be that different, I'd just spend more time doing those things. Grad school: Saving me from guilt-free time since 2001.

No comments: