01 February 2007

Chick Flick

Some memorable quotes from Steel Magnolias, which I finally watched all the way through for the first time. While part of my brain wanted to critique it from the angle of women as birth-giving machines (come on, Shelby was just unwilling to adopt a non-white child!), there's no way not to appreciate Dolly Parton, Shirley McClaine, Olympia Dukakis and Sally Field sassing each other for two hours. Good stuff.

Truvy: I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence.

Truvy: There is no such thing as natural beauty.

Annelle: Miss Truvy, I promise that my personal tragedy will not interfere with my ability to do good hair.

Clairee: Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!

Clairee: Ouiser, I'd recognize this penmanship anywhere. You have the handwritin' of a serial killer!

Truvy: Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.

No comments: