12 February 2007

Coffee is the New Water


Mmmmmm, delicious coffee. It makes all things seem possible, even the mountain of work I need to finish this week.

The BBC has photos of Venice during Carnevale up at the moment, and I was surprised to notice they were all in the daytime. It was only upon viewing these photos that I realized my entire memory of Venetian Carnevale is at night, to the point that I can't even picture it happening during the day. Nearly every picture I took on that trip was at night. The one thing I do remember, however, because we had no hotel and had to sleep on the train station floor (ah, train strikes and being in your twenties), was that we didn't sleep a lot -- it was freaking cold -- and ended up walking around at sunrise to go to an early morning mass at San Marco. There were no humans out anywhere in the city because everyone was sleeping off the big party. There were just huge amounts of confetti everywhere in sight, stray cats wandering about lazily on the misty bridges, and one lone old street sweeper attempting to deal with the confetti invasion. And it was utterly silent. That was probably the most beautiful moment I've ever had in Italy, which is saying something. Wow, I'm playing quite a little game of "anywhere but here" at the moment. Back to work.

On a side note, yay! to the Dixie Chicks winning five Grammys. They deserve it. Those ladies rock. They've reclaimed country for its populist roots.

2 comments:

Dolce Vita said...

That is a wonderful image of Italy and, from my point of view, well worth every moment used to relate it. I wish you had a picture of that to post!

I second the "yeah" for the Dixie Chicks. Knowing that they would do so well might have induced me to watch the Grammys. I was satisfied with the NPR report this morning thought that played sound bites from the awards and explained the background to the album. (No mention of "Shut up and sing" though.)

Rachel said...

I need to watch that documentary. I was listening to some Chicks music I have on my computer (long story, I'm constantly finding something on my computer I didn't realize was there), and I really like them! They're just cool, and Natalie Maines has an awesome powerhouse of a voice. :)