23 February 2007

Slavery & Smithing

Let's see if I can fit both topics in without giving whiplash to anyone. Today is the 200th anniversary of the British abolition of the transatlantic slave trade. In honor of that, the movie "Amazing Grace" is premiering today as well -- I want to see it and I definitely want to critique it. I can't just enjoy something, people. To reference Saru's recent comment -- excuse me, excuse me, a white man is talking! That seems to be the point of the movie. Whitey singlehandedly saves the day! And while I'm always happy to tell people the story of the author of "Amazing Grace" being the captain of a slave ship, I wish they weren't only showing him in his later years, after he's repented and feels all bad and Jesus-y about it. The church folk seem to love that angle. Plus he's played by Albert Finney, and I've loved him since Erin Brockovich, so that makes it hard. I suppose I should go see the movie before I totally prejudge it. If any of you finance whizzes are looking for a job, Anti-Slavery International is looking for a finance manager. Fighting global slavery and getting to live in London. Nice deal. Finally, if I haven't mentioned it before, the book to read on the subject is Disposable People. Just don't expect to feel good about yourself and your "choices" ever again. And if you're not likely to read a disturbing book, Anti-Slavery International also has a quite yummy-looking Indian recipe book that raises funds for their work.

Ooookay, in totally unrelated news, I've been meaning to post my metalsmithing goodies from Wednesday for a few days now. Here is what Jake got:


A forged copper bracelet:


Earrings, just for fun:


I heart forging. It involves a lot of hammering on anvils. I am also now an old pro at the torch station, and am now working on my bracelet designs, especially for a certain man-bracelet that was discussed when Matt was visiting. Bracelets are fun to make.

No comments: