17 January 2007

Distrustful Bunny


I am the efficiency bunny today. If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, it's because you were fortunate enough not to attend law school with me. I love being that bunny. To do list covered with cross-outs.

Also, I don't trust the following words: freedom, free, free society, liberty. (Obviously words like market and open economy go without saying.) I was browsing around a few fellowship websites and I saw one that gives great funding...for work exploring the policies necessary to a free society. I immediately picture anticommunist witch hunts, counterrevolutionaries, and other apologist lackeys for capitalism. Is it kind of sad that I can't even read the words freedom or liberty without alarm bells going off? Yeah, I'm not applying. Of course, being all post-linguistic turn, I don't trust any words, but if a fellowship were about justice or equality I wouldn't freak, despite their similarly overdetermined meaninglessness.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

i recently watched Bush's Inaugural address from 2001 in one of my English classes. It was so horribly ironic, using phrases like freedom, justice, liberty, equality, and so on quite liberally. It kind of ticked me off too that while I like all those ideas, I'm convinced that anyone who starts talking about them too much is trying to trick me somehow.

The new Austrian chancellor is offering free school help to certain kids. It's supposed to promote volunteer work in Austria. I blame the fact that I'm American for looking at it as a huge publicity stunt.