24 January 2007

First Camellia


Until this morning I had completely forgotten that the camellia bush outside my bedroom winter blooms in January. What a nice surprise! Especially nice that it's actually the norm for this particular kind of camellia, and not some freakish side effect of global warming. I enjoy knowing that, barring apocalypse, the camellia will outlive me -- it's both reassuring and humbling.

Also on the list of good things, I successfully made a vegan, wheat and gluten-free, soy-free, nightshade-free, estrogen-free dinner for our friends K. and I. last night. This is the third (fourth?) time I have managed this, without repeating menus, and I always feel very proud of myself. I imagine this is how many of my carnivorish friends feel if they make something vegan for me.

3 comments:

kungfuramone said...

Nah, we just give you a soybean to gnaw on.

:P

Rachel said...

I definitely felt that way about my cornbread muffins that I made entirely vegan. Mainly because I had to figure out how to create an egg substitute, milk substitute and butter substitute. Milk's easy - soy milk! But since most egg and butter substitutes actually contain eggs and butter, it's rather difficult. Props!

Dolce Vita said...

Another reason I miss Oregon - camellias. As a Montana native, they were new to me when I moved to Oregon. They are beautiful and completely absent from the Ohio landscape.