05 January 2007

I Don't Have A Phone

Lots of fun at the BCC last night! Good food, good wine (yay Jeff!), followed by 80s dancing the night away. We also played a rousing game of "Would You Rather..." and one question in particular had an interesting gender breakdown. In response to "Would you rather be with someone vain or someone with a very poor self-image?" all the ladies picked the vain partner immediately while all the guys were apparently looking for a lady with low self-esteem. When Jake was mercilessly grilled on it later it turned out he had a different conception of vanity than we did (he viewed it as being mean/judgmental toward others, not just a superficial image preoccupation), so maybe it was a coincidence. As E. and I both noted, much easier -- and more entertaining -- to knock a vain person down a few pegs with some well-placed teasing than to constantly be reassuring someone with a crappy self-image. I just don't get it. Would anyone really rather be with someone with no self-esteem?

E. has excellently listed most of the highlights of the 80s dance night here. I am adding "I don't have a phone" to my list of good responses to pickups. It's short and to the point, without being too mean. It goes on the list next to "Are you that kid from Malcolm in the Middle?" (saved for complete tools) and "What's your opinion on gay marriage?, which was frankly just a helpful sorting tool in Boston. I have yet to use the Romy and Michelle best-pickup-line-response ever: "Excuse me. I cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling up with blood." Sadly, if you know me and footwear, that's true 80% of the time, so there's no good reason I haven't used it yet. Someday. It also requires limping away from the scene of the attempted pickup with a straight face, which is the bigger challenge.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

that is brilliant! and I definitely agree on the vain vs. self-esteem issue. People with low self-esteem are really just too hard to deal with after a while then you start to resent them for the amount of time you've invested in telling them how great they *really* are. Blech. Interesting result though...