12 January 2007

Newsy Bits

The snow is still here. It is still pretty. It is also damn cold. I love my wood pellet stove in a major way. The cat and I have power struggles for positions in front of it. I win.

I have developed an unhealthy fondness for audiobooks and podcasts about history that I listen to (and mentally correct when they are inaccurate -- or more precisely, when they are insufficiently complex in their explanations -- God, I'm such a grad student) while I do things like grade or read news or blog. While typing this I learned that the first Battle of Saratoga in the American Revolution took place on my birthday. Sweet! I'm not sure the obsessive multitasking is going to help me absorb every single thing I read for comps, but it reassures me a little. The more you know about a subject, the more you remember. Um, supposedly.

I am going East again! Saru and I put together a panel for a conference on Law and the Humanities at Georgetown at the end of March and it was accepted. It happens to coincide with spring break, so there will be some visitations. To my NY/DC/PA peeps -- you had no idea you'd be so lucky as to get C-Lo twice in the space of three months! Yeah, I promise I won't give you the plague this time. I think the first visit didn't really count anyway, given that I was voiceless and toasted on hot toddies and cold medicine.

The other two live-in members of the BCC are getting a cell phone. This is actually a present from Erin for Jake's birthday in February, so I'm trusting everyone not to mention it to him (Jessica, that's mostly for you, since you'll see him this weekend). Anyone who has ever waited for them to show up or tried to coordinate a meeting with them when they were on the road will be very excited about this.

Does your bread have human hair in it? The funniest thing about this article are the comments. Man, some vegans are psycho. And I say that as the worst. vegan. ever.

2 comments:

kungfuramone said...

You are to vegans what Pluto is to planets.

I say that with love.

Cabiria said...

I like that analogy. Too true, my friend.