04 January 2007

Three Things I Love Today


1. This pasta. Cooked in a whole bottle of wine until it turns a gorgeous red (I don't know, that just seems insanely decadent to me, and it was), with some sauteed garlic and broccoli rabe. It is the yum. And despite the cooking guy's assurances that the heat cooks all the alcohol out, Erin and I still felt like we had just taken shots after dinner -- there's something different about a buzz from food as opposed to a beverage buzz. Save time -- have your wine and meal in one dish!

2. Podcasts. Yes, I'm late to the game, but I just discovered the wonders of having my BBC news podcast on my Ipod when I'm out for a walk. Not to mention the podcasts of Cass Sunstein speaking at Princeton, or This American Life, or tasty bits from the Economist. Yes, I'm also a huge dork.

3. Coffee without sugar. OK, I know I constantly am quitting coffee (helped along by the fact that the other BCC members don't drink it and therefore judge it -- R., S., E., all other honorary BCC members/coffee drinkers, I need you!), but this time I decided to start again when I wasn't even really craving it. It's all based on my brother's recent information that coffee prevents Alzheimer's. Some of you know I am obsessed with not getting Alzheimer's (and if you don't want a similar obsession, never ever ever watch the movie Iris), and given all the other good things coffee does, I can't really fight it anymore. Plus I've just discovered that coffee doesn't need sugar -- which kind of negates all the health benefits -- to taste good IF it's actually good coffee to begin with and not total crap. This is a revelation to me. My new obsession: finding really good coffee.

3 comments:

r? said...

Cafe Mam's Othelo or Mocho blends are exelent when combined with the proper brewing devices...Plus they are pretty cheep at the Freindly St. Market.

Hell Yeah for good coffee...

kungfuramone said...

HAIL SATAN! C DISCOVERS BLACK COFFEE!

We're all saved. Thank you, C. And thank you, Alzheimer's, for insuring that C will stop doing foolish things like pretending to stop drinking coffee.

Dolce Vita said...

I too am attentive to news about alzheimers (and dementia), so I recently decided that I need to do more crossword puzzles and math games (my days don't include many mathmatical challenges). All this because of an NPR story on the brain and aging. You should check it out.